Thursday, September 20, 2012

Just Six Inches

Six inches from all of God's Glory.
So this morning I was hit by a car.


I started out this morning excited to be rocking the winter knickers Emily bought me for Christmas.  I wish I could say it was the most ridiculous training attire I have, but it's not even close.
Emily said I couldn't possibly look more ridiculous
in my Euro-roadie power ranger suit.  I accepted the challenge.
Really though, what if this was the last picture she made of me!



After being a good sport and accepting the ridicule from my loving wife, I headed out.



Today's workout was an "important" one, a 30 minute power test.  It's 30 minutes of absolute suck.  Just after I finished up the interval, I sat up for my 5 minute recovery and something interesting happened.  From my perspective, I was passed by broken pieces of plastic and glass just before hearing the screech of tires and being incredibly aware of what I can only imagine as a feeling of being shot in my left hamstring.

I went through a range of emotions as the driver pulled over to check on me.  Interestingly, I was okay.  Granted I was not real tickled about what just happened. I pedaled up to the driver side window and said "you've got to be kidding me, dude.   The guy asked if I needed an ambulance or the police.  He just kept asking what he needed to do next.  I told him to go to work and try not to kill anyone this morning.



Pedaling home, I couldn't help but think a few things:

  1. I have never publicly confessed that I am a Christian and that I love the Lord.  Well world, I am a Christian, and I love the Lord. 
  2. I do not want the last thing I do in this world to be a 30 TT power test on a bicycle.
  3. If today was my day, and I was a hood ornament for Mr. Now-One-Mirrored-Mazda, I have really been blessed in this life.  I could list a ton of things for which I am thankful, but the tippity-tip-top of the list is having the opportunity to share a few more moments with Emily.  She is truly better than I deserve.


I can't say that it had a profound impact on me other than the Mazda shaped red mark on the back of my hamstring.  I can say that on that long ride home, I decided I was going to have my first cheeseburger of 2012 today!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are okay, and I didn't read another 'we lost another one' thread on Slowtwitch. I ride early in the morning as well usually starting at 4-4:30am. I find it to be the best time to ride as long as your rear light is working (I have 3)! Thank you as well for your #1, and not being ashamed! #notafanbutafollower

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ " go to work and try not to kill anyone this morning." That made my day. Glad you're ok. love you - your little cuz.

    ReplyDelete